[lbo-talk] Let a Thousand Factions Bloom (Pacifica-WBAI-FM)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Jan 3 10:27:19 PST 2004

On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 05:09 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> Yes, I can understand why WBAI is a fat target for different
>> factions, but why can't they band together to fight for *more*
>> stations in the New York area to air progressive news and >>
>> programming?
>
> Because we can't run even one! And do you have any idea how expensive
> radio is? WBAI is run on a shoestring, and it still takes $4-5 million
> a year.

To say nothing of the expense of buying an FM station in a major market. When a classical music station in Philly was bought and turned into a pop station some years ago, we explored the idea of buying another station, but the prices are out of this world.

I'm afraid that underground radio is the only thing us pwogs can afford. (Unless Soros can be appealed to.) Or possibly getting a channel on satellite radio; I don't know what the process for doing that is.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)