[lbo-talk] Let a Thousand Factions Bloom (Pacifica-WBAI-FM)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Jan 3 10:51:24 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

>> Because we can't run even one! And do you have any idea how expensive
>> radio is? WBAI is run on a shoestring, and it still takes $4-5 million
>> a year.

> To say nothing of the expense of buying an FM station in a major market.
> When a classical music station in Philly was bought and turned into a
> pop station some years ago, we explored the idea of buying another
> station, but the prices are out of this world.
>
> I'm afraid that underground radio is the only thing us pwogs can afford.
> (Unless Soros can be appealed to.) Or possibly getting a channel on
> satellite radio; I don't know what the process for doing that is.

<sigh> Do you think that the right wing would have gotten anywhere is the naysayers had won the day? The fact that progressives in New York City run a station worth millions of dollars should suggest that we could achieve more if we set our sights on the stars. This won't be easy, but if we convince ourselves that expanding radical and progressive content on the airwaves is impossible, then perhpas we should just stop fighting the media monopoly right now and settle for our ghetto.

If somebody has told me nine years ago that it would be impossible for an anarchist website to reach one million people in a year and I had listened to them and not created Infoshop.org, that same website would never have reached one million people in 2003, which it did.

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog) -> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty