[lbo-talk] Let a Thousand Factions Bloom (Pacifica-WBAI-FM)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Jan 4 08:03:07 PST 2004

On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 01:51 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> <sigh> Do you think that the right wing would have gotten anywhere is
> the naysayers had won the day? The fact that progressives in New York
> City run a station worth millions of dollars should suggest that we
> could achieve more if we set our sights on the stars. This won't be
> easy, but if we convince ourselves that expanding radical and
> progressive content on the airwaves is impossible, then perhpas we
> should just stop fighting the media monopoly right now and settle for
> our ghetto.

Hey, I would love to see progressive FM stations all over the country, competing with NPR, the political orientation of which I think we all would agree leaves much to be desired.

I definitely believe in setting our sights on the stars. But actually getting to the stars requires a method of propulsion which can accelerate us to a high proportion of the speed of light. The progressive radio analogy, as far as I can see is: lots and lots of $$$. If we had access to that, there would an awful lot of things we could do. But it looks like a case of "if we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs."

The other approach is to get leftie talk shows, etc., on the existing stations, which is currently being tried.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)