[lbo-talk] IAC/ANSWER hack to defend saddam?

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Sat Jan 3 14:10:51 PST 2004

marc rodrigues wrote:

>"Former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark said last week that he would be willing to provide legal counsel to the ousted Iraqi leader if he requested assistance. Mr. Clark was attorney general under President Johnson and is a staunch anti-war advocate who has met with Saddam on several occasions in the past decade."
>
>http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1231/dailyUpdate.html?s=entt
>
>in the middle of trying to co-opt and take over both March 20th and the anti-RNC organizing that's been going on, they have time for this too. another reason for anti-war people to distance themselves from the WWP/IAC/ANSWER borg. once the right gets a hold of this, it will be a field day (and for good reason (?)).

I can't agree. As rotten as Saddam was, and probably still is, he is still entitled to legal representation in a fair trial. That is a point which should be agreed upon, regardless of who offers to be his lawyer.

My only regret is that this would provide assistance to those who vilify the ANSWER crowd as apologists and defenders of Saddam Hussein. I don't have much sympathy for them myself, and I can think of a number of reasons to regard them as a bunch of cranks and Saddam apologists... but this particular offer of Clark's isn't one of them.