[lbo-talk] Re: sex across the color line

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Jan 4 00:10:24 PST 2004

I wrote:

My daughter is ten. She already knows about sex, but she is
>not very savvy about adolescent and grownup male sexual
>aggression and other asshole behavior

Ken wrote:

"Make it all male.

C'mon.

Female sexual aggression is everywhere in my world. How about yours? They are the girls who convince males to commit crimes by proxy." ___________________________________

Far, far fewer men have been raped by women than women have been raped by men. In the life of most women, sexual abuse is not uncommon. As a girl of nine-to-thirteen, I experienced three such incidents which were more scary than physically harmful. When I was raped, at 19, it was by a friend of my fathers, on a visit. Did I tell my parents? Of course not. I don't hate men; I don't fear sex; but the reality is that girls need to be aware how some men view them and how such men are likely to treat them. The question is, how much of this does one want to discuss with a child? And the answer is that there is no easy answer. There's no hard answer either; we fumble along.

By the way, I had the same concerns when my son was growing up because in all his life, he has not known one moment of ugly. A number of times, he was followed by men who were drawn to his exotic androgynous adolescent looks. Now I'm not so worried cause he's 20 and he's 6'5".

But, I don't want to dismiss your complaint. Say more about "female sexual aggression" and how it manifests itself? Does it affect your ability to keep your job? Are you physically afraid? How does it work?

Joanna