[lbo-talk] RE: Forgiving Iraq's debt

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Jan 4 00:16:03 PST 2004

Kevin RD writes:

"Well, why not? If the US is going to be the government who not only ousted the leader, but took up the task of being its Government, then why not have them inherit that debt? I mean, isn't that what always happens to new governments, when the old one gets voted out/overthrown/ect?"

I was speculating, as asked, as to why debts are being forgiven. I wasn't arguing that it's the right thing to do. I haven't the foggiest whether it's right or wrong. All this seems to be taking place within a space which has nothing to do with morality on anyone's part.

Joanna