[lbo-talk] RE: Forgiving Iraq's debt

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 04:26:08 PST 2004

Kevin writes:

"Anyone care to speculate why countries who were against this war are so quick to forgive debt?"

Well, for the forseable future, it seems to be a win-win move. I mean, given the shape the country is in and will be in for a while, there is NO money to pay back anything anyway. So, if they forgive debts, 1) they do well by the U.S., which I'm sure is twisting some arms; and 2) they do well by whatever Iraqi govt comes to power for being supportive in Iraq's hour of need.

Joanna

--- How could the US twist Russia's arm? It could use a carrot approach by e.g. letting Russian oil companies into Iraq, but negative US leverage on Russia is close to zero.

_________________________________________________________________ Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup