[lbo-talk] Judt and "The Burden of Responsibility"

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 5 13:58:26 PST 2004

This will surprise Joanna and Brad Meyer, but, I found the Tony Judt NYRB piece excellent. And, I've always been a two state solution realist.

One of his previous books, "Past Imperfect, " on the French Stalinist and fellow travelling intelligentsia is great. http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/6015.html Along w/ Mark Poster, "Existential Marxism in Post War France, " http://www.hnet.uci.edu/mposter/EM/ , one gets alot to chew over regarding self-delusion and pressures towards conformism. (Yesterday, sitting in the new 6th St. anarchist bookstore w/ Tom Ward who Doug knows from Tom's days at the Village Voice, I read a chunk of a book, "Introduction to Modernity: Twelve Preludes, September 1959-May 1961, " from Verso, that was also quite good on the PCF intelligentsia.)