[lbo-talk] Re: people in glass cages shouldn't...

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jan 6 11:05:23 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Philion" <philion at hawaii.edu>

> my sense from them is that they analysed the saddam regime the way they
> would analyse the post-Stalin soviet regimes of past. worthy of
opposition,
> but no need to agree with the monster analogies...if by monster we mean
> monsters as in those bad guys who really stick out...as opposed to run of
> the mill dictators...
>

> steve

I think Saddam _was_ far worse than most "run of the mill dictators" (though of course many dictators were/are worse than Saddam). Perhaps I'm mistaken, but even by "run of the mill" dictator standards, starting a war that kills around 1 million people and overseeing a police state that kills an additional 200,000+ is quite an accomplishment.

-- Luke