[lbo-talk] Re: people in glass cages shouldn't...

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 6 11:49:22 PST 2004

As I trust y'all know, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, was on the leftest edge of SDS. Saw her in the crowd at Modern Times when Bill Ayers w/ Bernadine Dohrn was on his book tour. http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1548/4_18/105370445/p1/article.jhtml

You are Here: Articles > Tikkun > July-August, 2003 >

To the Editor:

During my UN human rights work in the l980s, Saddam Hussein's atrocities were well known and documented. I worked with Kurds, Marsh Arabs, and Iraqi Communists who were in forced exile and whose families had been tortured and killed. The nadir was 1988, when Hussein used chemical weapons against Kurdish villages and Iranian soldiers in the north. At every step of the way, the Reagan, then Bush administrations blocked every resolution.

I resent the accusation in Juan Cole's essay in your May/June 2003 issue that "the anti-war movement" did not properly address Saddam Hussein's human rights abuses. Had the United States not blocked all diplomatic measures in the 1980s, Hussein would have been toppled, just as the apartheid regime in South Africa was. The problem is the United States, and that's what we need to deal with.

DR. ROXANNE DUNBAR-ORTIZ

San Francisco, CA COPYRIGHT 2003 Tikkun Magazine