[lbo-talk] State-run oil company is being weighed for Iraq

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 7 13:32:38 PST 2004

"C. G. Estabrook" wrote:

> I think the oil companies were quite hesitant about the invasion, rightly
> considering how disruptive it would be throughout the Mideast -- which
> suggests that the reasons were strategic rather than narrowly economic.
> The decision was made by the executive committee of the bourgeoisie, not
> without internal dissent. --CGE

Something like this has been my conviction since the first Gulf War. Narrowly economic explanations are not only inadequate in respect to the initial decisions to make war but _also_ are offer no illumination whatever for the acquiescence of the capitalist class as shown in the treatment by the corporate media. The internal dissent is visible but only faintly. If it were all about oil (or all about Haliburton, etc.) that dissent would be far more visible.

Carrol