[lbo-talk] Anarchism, Or The Revolutionary Movement Of The Twenty-First Century

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Jan 7 13:46:42 PST 2004

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 02:08 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:

> There is another issue that is tangetial to this I
> believe. A lot of activists, especially the
> "revolutionary leninist" (but not exclusive to that
> group) kind fall into a trap: they start to see all
> people as OBJECTS in much the same way as a butcher
> sees all cows as MEAT. People become objects to
> recruit to your cause. Relations with other people
> are seen as an instrument to convert.

Indeed, that is a common tendency among many types of activists. Successful movements require large numbers (unless you are taking the terrorist approach). Action needs to be taken as soon as possible, since the situation is dire. How do you get large numbers relatively quickly? By pushing them around like inert objects. After all, if you allow them plenty of leeway to think over your arguments and make up their own minds, they may take years or decades, and they may in the end decline your offer, or ask time-wasting or unanswerable questions.

The corollary is that movements which treat people as people generally tend to be small relative to the whole population, unless the population is extremely dissatisfied and ready for action already.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.