[lbo-talk] Cigarettes and sex

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 7 14:58:46 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of / dave / Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:04 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Cigarettes and sex

joanna bujes wrote:

> This is SO not true. One of the problems about giving up smoking, which
> I now do with some regularity, is that it make you really horny. (A
> problem if there's no one around.)

An excellent piece of information. Has this been corroborated by others? One possible reason to become a (subtle, selective) anti-smoking advocate amongst one's circle of acquaintances...

** When I quit (just after this past Thanksgiving [cold turkey]) I had the exact opposite experience. I didn't want anyone near me... and for the first two week no one wanted to be near me, so that worked out pretty well I guess. My cessation was very anti-sexual... I took up crunching on potato chips - which I've read is a "food" created as a means of sublimating otherwise unwanted aggression: not only is the noise of the breaking of the chips part of the clamour of violence but the salt and spray of fat literally assaults your lips and mouth - not to mention you have to wrestle with the chips in order to open the damn things. I don't know if that means that sex, junk food, smoking, and aggression are linked... but it wouldn't surprise me... perhaps it's all just in the marketing; or, maybe it's just me. See In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food-- the chapter on "anger" --by Stewart Lee Allen.

ken