[lbo-talk] Cigarettes and sex

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 7 17:13:18 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Kenneth MacKendrick Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 4:59 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Cigarettes and sex

Response to myself: The best thing about quitting was the return of taste and smell... to be able to pick out the subtle flavours of my morning coffee and to enjoy that extra richness of a well reduced port sauce... that alone made the difficulty worth struggling through. I should also mention, again via Allen's In the Devil's Garden, "Tests indicate that people who lose their sense of smell or taste also tend to lose all sexual impulses, and over 90 percent suffer serious depression." I read somewhere else that 98% of all sex is precipitated by a meal. I don't quite know how they collected that data, but I suppose within a surveillance state it isn't too unreasonable to imagine.

ken