[lbo-talk] Dick Cheney's Christmas Card -- For real!

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Jan 8 11:43:12 PST 2004

I agree it's a stereotype, but my experience has been that someone who is a "sensible person of faith" in one social context can be a "knuckle-dragger" in another. BACs know when they're in an BAC-friendly environment or not, and adapt their attitudes accordingly, and there are many who don't swallow the theology/eschatology whole.

<anecdotalEvidence> The father of a friend of mine was a chemical engineer who had been an evangelical preacher for a while. He accepted evolutionary biology and did not think it was un- or anti-Christian, although he guarded about the subject. In principle he was quite anti-homosexual and could say some pretty horrible things; but through his kids knew more than a few out gays and lesbians, and accepted and liked them. As far as I know, he never witnessed to them, or tried to give them a talk about changing their ways...but he probably prayed for them. </anecdotalEvidence>

There are likely many people like him. What matters here is this: how do such people act politically? I'm fairly certain my friend's father was (he passed away a few years ago) a "knuckle-dragger" in the election booth and gave $$ to reactionary and retrograde Xtian groups.

FWIW, Curtiss