[lbo-talk] FW: Suicide as a tactic

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 9 07:49:11 PST 2004

A really interesting view, close to my own thinking on the subject. Suicide bombing is a brilliant and rational military strategy. From the planners' point of view, every assault has a predictable number of deaths, the only truly unpredictable element is the names of those who will die. That uncertainty can be seen as the "cost" of participation in an assault, from the planner's perspective at least. An individual soldier knows that the probability of dying while executing an assault is high, but not certain, hence his hope to be spared - which can be seen a necessary condition of his participation in the operation.

Therefore, to maintain the perception of that non-zero probability of dying in an attack and at the same time achieve its objective (or at least a high probability thereof), the planners must devise a suitable strategy which necessarily involves a large number of combatants, which consequently implies a large number of deaths. That human cost can be greatly reduced, however, by making the names of those who will die certain.

So the tradeoff is this - either a large number of uncertain deaths in a conventional assault, or a small number of certain deaths in a suicide mission. If we assume that war is moral, then the second solution seems ethically preferable, at least from the utilitarian point of view. A similar argument can be made from deontological positions, if we assume that the will to die is a valid moral principle.

Wojtek

Japan's
> kamikaze pilots during World War II.
>
> But the Economist is too positive in judging the efficacy of suicide
> bombing. It is only able to cite Hezbollah in Lebanon as having
reached its
> political objective.
>
> In all other historical cases - and also, it could be argued, in
Lebanon and