[lbo-talk] Israeli soldiers plan demonstration at Gaza

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Jan 11 18:08:54 PST 2004

THE TIMES OF INDIA

SATURDAY, JANUARY 10, 2004

Israeli soldiers plan demonstration at Gaza

PTI

JERUSALEM: Israeli soldiers, who are against serving in the Palestinian territories, have united in a new movement 'The Courage to Refuse' and plan to hold a big demonstration next weekend at the Gaza crossing.

The movement is supported by dozens of soldiers, airforce reserve pilots who signed a letter of protest last month and five reservists of the elite Chief-of-Staff special forces commando unit who have recently declared their refusal to serve in the territories, a media report said on Friday.

"Our aim is to protest against those who send our soldiers to kill and get killed in the Gaza Strip," leaders of the movement told Ynet, the Hebrew edition of Yediot Aharonot newspaper.

"The demonstration (will) send a message to the settlers there. They are strung from a high pole and we must help them to get down," they said.

Copyright © 2004 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.