[lbo-talk] Re: To Doug: re India etc in Digest no. Lbo-talk digest, Vol 1 #2192

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:46:34 PST 2004

>Statement: Hari Kumar: "By the way, did anyone see the out-sourcing prgramme on 60 minutes? Showed well, what another side of India is today."
>

>Question: Doug: "Could you expand on that? What side? What did it tell you?"

Reply: Well my thoughts are not especially profound, & definitely not necessarily new. It was just a very graphic illustration & the interviews were very interesting. As is well known to this group the rush to use the expertises of the educated middle classes of India - by 'outsourcing' continues apace. For instance, call centers etc are well described. But I did not know that tax returns to the USA were being prepared by accountants in India; or that USA XRay reports were being reported by Indian radiologists - simply the daily scale of this so-called 'globalisation' is to me at any rate, amazing. As well, the smug self-satisfied Indian capitalists who have built these new empires were fairly repulsive - Quote: " Our mission is to show that Indians are capable" - Yes indeed - no mention of the $ eh? Ulhas' observation via article re the boom in the stock markets in India is obviously related. Question: What do the current rulers of India represent. I would suggest that the rulers of post partition India were pro Soviet compradors for many years. Mrs. Gandhi's 'Emergency' was in part predicated on an anti-US swing of Jayprakash Narayan. The pendulum has swung to an overtly pro-USA comprador class. What else can the BJPO be (we will leave aside designations such as fascist - I would for once agree with this description that does not quite fit the old Comintern classifications). I do not really know as of yet what the final designation should be..... Thinking in the cold - Hari