[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry day...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Jan 13 17:32:18 PST 2004

Doug quotes:

"New York,NY - Jennifer Baumgardner, writer, announces a campaign to amplify the voices of women who have had abortions. The campaign will kick off with "I'm Not Sorry Day" on January 22, 2004, a recasting of the Roe v Wade anniversary. Other events include a documentary and a t-shirt campaign."

This is such a bad idea. There's a tremendous amount of work left to be done on behalf of women's rights (as women) for choice, for childcare, for maternity benefits, etc. to focus on abortion exclusively is not good. I favor a woman's right to choose as the least possible evil -- but an abortion is still not a good thing. Having an "i'm not sorry day" is fodder for the right-to-lifers but, I suspect, won't do much to recruit for the women's civil rights movement.

Joanna