[lbo-talk] RE: I'm not sorry

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 12:21:58 PST 2004

--- joanna bujes <jbujes at covad.net> wrote:

> J: I don't think women feel bad after an abortion
> because of the "dominant ideology"; I think they
> feel bad because there's not much to celebrate.

It depends on the particular situation. Certainly, if you come from a family or a region where a lot of guilt is associated with abortion, then, yes, one can cite the "dominant ideology" as part of the problem. However, there are plenty of times when that is not the case and people feel bad for the reasons that joanna underscores.

In any case, abortion is nothing to cheer about. It is a sad, albeit sometimes necessary, option. For me, the "I am not sorry" slogan sounds a bit too much like, "Say it loud, I aborted and I'm proud". Certainly one should not feel ashamed about having an abortion, but somehow "I am not sorry" does not reflect the complexity of feeling most women (I believe) undergo. I believe most women ARE sorry that they have to get an abortion, but for whatever reasons they have had to make that choice. Am I wrong?

-Thomas