[lbo-talk] RE: I'm not sorry

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Wed Jan 14 14:23:08 PST 2004

> I believe most women ARE sorry that they have to get
> an abortion, but for whatever reasons they have had to
> make that choice. Am I wrong?
>
> -Thomas

It depends how you define Sorry, I think. Who isn't sorry when birth control fails? Life would be easier if it always worked. Many might regret the bad timing - wish this pregnancy were coming at a better time in their lives, or that it had happened with a guy they liked better, etc. Women saying "I'm Not Sorry" aren't saying they never felt sad about any of that, or that they loved having an abortion. They are saying they don't feel guilty in a moral sense, and they don't regret their decision. I would guess many, many women who have had abortions would agree with them.

It also depends what you mean by "have to" get an abortion, or "reasons". My guess is that most women don't "have to" in the sense that many people would understand that phrasing: they are not thirteen years old, pregnant by incest or rape, sleeping on the sidewalk or mentally incapable of raising a child. I think by framing it as an unfortunate necessity, something people "have to" do, we're missing the experience of most people, and making it sound as if abortion is shameful and requires a "reason," some sort of extenuating circumstance. I don't think it should. People aren't expected to have a "reason" for having children, a much more serious undertaking in my book, and one with a far greater impact on the larger world.

Liza