[lbo-talk] the ideology of abortion as 'murder'

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 14 22:08:53 PST 2004

CJE wrote I meant merely to show the inadequacy of the argument, "Abortion is justified because women have been oppressed,"

--because the argument is not the one that is used to justify the legal right to choose whether or not to have an abortion (with the exception of restrictions on the last 3 months of pregnancy), you are raising a non-sequitor, possibly the non-sequitor of non-sequitors. --------------------------------------------------- In each case the premise is true, but the conclusion doesn't follow.

--utterly not true. the argument for legalization of abortion has nothing to do with 'because women are oppressed they should have a right to abortion'...zero. the argument, in a nutshell is, 'because my god tells me he thinks abortion is murder, therefore I think abortion should be treated in the legal code as an act of murder".

steve