[lbo-talk] Ostalgie

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:08:59 PST 2004

>Seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that more of the admirers of
>communism
>would be of type 1 (e.g. the old lady) than type 2 (e.g. the successful
>businessman). There are more of the former and they're more apt to be
>dissatsified, right?
>
>-- Luke

Oh, certainly. Old people were a) socialized during the Stalin and Krushchev years and b) have it really rough, having lost their life savings in 1992 and getting a pention of about $30-$50 a month (nowhere near enough to live on). Then again, I know nobody over 40 who doesn't miss the USSR, regardless of their current material position.

Interestingly, most people who are really down on the Soviet Union are in their 20s -- in other words, people who don't even really remember the USSR, or, rather, think of their childhood in the Gorbachev era, which was when the economic crisis hit.