[lbo-talk] Miller on Bruce

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 08:15:44 PST 2004

"Surprisingly [Dennis Miller] is tougher on Lenny Bruce. 'Lenny was a heroin addict, and I could care less about heroin addicts,' Mr. Miller said. 'Once I hear a guy is a heroin addict, and they tell me he's a genius, I think, really? I'm not trying to be judgmental. But anybody whose last vision is of a tile pattern on a bathroom floor, I don't know what kind of genius they are.' "

<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/15/arts/television/15MILL.html>

Gotta love the "Lenny" tag -- as if Miller knew the guy personally. Bruce may not have been a comedy genius (that's open to debate), but he was fearless and a trailblazer whose career was literally taken from him in a way that Miller cannot imagine. Miller was sacked by "Monday Night Football" and ended up performing his poli-sci shtick on Fox and now CNBC. Plus, he's buds with W., the man, he told Time mag, he most admires. Wonder what Lenny would've thought of that.

DP