[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Jan 15 21:23:01 PST 2004

In this, as in everything else on the topic from Messrs. Estabrook and Campbell (not to mention all the other prohibitionists) is a glaring exhibition of what has aptly become known as the *naturalistic fallacy*, first analyzed by David Hume. "...Hume maintains that no propositions about what ought to be can validly be deduced from premises stating quite neutrally what as a matter of fact actually did, or does, or will occur..." (Article *Philosophy* in Collier's Encyclopedia, vol.18, p.725)

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)