[lbo-talk] "Ought" from "Is" (Was: I'm not sorry)

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Jan 16 09:52:04 PST 2004

Hilary Putnam (is he still considered a proper analytic philosopher these days?) takes on this matter in a recent volume of essays, _The Collapse of the Fact/Value Dichotomy_. He does mention Hume w/r/t this topic and glosses the passage most commonly interpreted as "inferring 'ought' from 'is'" to mean rather that ethical terms have a different ontological status from terms with empirical reference and goes on to say that Hume was indeed deeply concerned with matters ethical (caveat: I don't have the book by my side, and I hope everyone reading this knows that my memory isn't the best)

Whether or not this is a plausible reading of Hume, I think Putnam's point is well taken anyway. Maybe some will find it trivial, but (a) that there is a difference of kind between the terms and (b) that there is a possibility of a relationship between them is interesting and useful to me.

That said: 1. w/r/t the original topic, I think an "I'm not sorry day" for women who've had abortions is a good thing. I've known women who've had abortions and whose attitude towards having terminated their pregnancies was nothing but relief pure and simple. The practice is legal, yet it's surrounded by shame, which is a ridiculous situation. It's their right--well, last time I checked it is, and you can't check too often under Bush the Younger--to have their say.

That's a hopelessly unsophisticated non-argument, I know. But even if you're not an emotivist, emotive statements play a role in discussion.

2. Chomsky's attempts at a universal grammar underlying languages are all *descriptive*, not *prescriptive*. His famous sentence "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" is supposed to demonstrate that humans recognize an utterance as a sentence on the basis of its syntax, not its semantics. By extention, I don't see how one could postulate that he would support a prescriptive, substantial universal grammar of human behavior. The basis for his ethical thought must lie elsewhere.

Curtiss