[lbo-talk] Re: I'm not sorry

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Jan 16 11:26:02 PST 2004

Michael Pugliese quoted:

>Shulamith would not be happy with this outcome.

Of course, Firestone's alive, so what she thinks is not hypothetical. It's at least consistent that 60s feminist founders are often spoken about as though they're dead, establishment feminism buried them long ago.

>We also have to return to the well-worn feminist question of why, if it
>is possible to send a man to the moon to play golf, is it so hard to develop
>a male contraceptive pill? But the answer is, of course, simple: because
>even if a male pill were available, many men would not want to take it, and
>many women would not necessarily trust them enough to do so.

Ah, but a pill you have to take every day is so much more profitable than an injection once every 6 years ... (apologies if this was already posted here.)

>'Are You Using Anything?'
>By Cara Gardner, The Inlander
>
>January 6, 2004

[....]

> [...]
>
>"We applied three or four years ago to do a clinical trial [in Canada],"
>says Weiss. "But it will never be approved. The [RISUG] studies that have
>been done to date have fallen short – it's not to say the studies weren't
>good or aren't useful, but they don't meet the criteria for Western
acceptance."

>So why can't the studies be completed in Canada or the United States in
>order to test RISUG by Western standards?
>
>"In order to obtain approval to study RISUG, we need to duplicate a number
>of the studies and that means you need money," Weiss says. "That either
>comes from a benevolent rich person, which is hard to come by, or a
pharmaceutical
>company."
>
>Herein lies the problem: RISUG may be too effective. Pharmaceutical companies
>are pouring millions into research on male contraceptives, particularly
>the male version of the pill, but none is interested in RISUG.
>
>"What does a hormonal contraceptive [like the Pill] represent to a
pharmaceutical
>company?" Weiss asks. "Recurrent sales. It's like women's birth control.
>They sell it over and over and over again. They want something they can
>make an ongoing profit from. Business is business."
>
>RISUG renders a man infertile for six to 15 years; on the Indian market,
>it'll cost about $500 for the injection. In contrast, the average American
>woman spends between $3,000 and $4,000 every 10 years for birth control
>pills. Even though RISUG might be a promising contraceptive, pharmaceutical
>companies would lose money on it. It takes about 10-15 years and costs
>anywhere from $20 million to $70 million to bring a contraceptive method
>through research, development and final approval for marketing by the Food
>and Drug Administration.
>
>"To be fair, pharmaceutical companies are in the business of making money
>and answering to their shareholders," Weiss says. "It's physicians who
>are looking for what's best for their patients. I don't blame big business.
>Hormones – that's where all the research and money is."
>
>Though men in most Western countries won't have the option of RISUG, men
>in parts of the developing world may be able to use it. Some say cultural
>and religious beliefs, in addition to fear and suspicion over science-based
>fertility control, might hold men back from getting the injection. Still,
>RISUG is a sign of hope in a world where 125 million couples cannot access
>current methods of birth control.
>
>In the Western world, men will soon have the option of controlling their
>fertility with hormones. Weiss says he guesses the male pill will be on
>the market in five to 10 years.
>
>"The only people who should be excited about the male pill are pharmaceutical
>companies," Weiss said in an interview with Grist Magazine. Pharmaceutical
>companies will have plenty of opportunity to make a profit on the male

full at http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17432

Jenny Brown