[lbo-talk] Tips For Limiting The KB Size Of Your Posts

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 10:29:06 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

Please don't post 25k pieces to the list when a URL is available.

I'm lowering the length limit for postings to 15k.

If you're unaware of the KB (kilobyte) count of your posts, there's an easy way to determine this before submitting.

If you're a Windows (9.X, 2000, XP) user...

* Copy and paste the text you want to send into the Notepad application (start ---> Run ----> type notepad and click ok)

* Save the text file on your desktop for easy access

* Right-click on the file and from the pop-down menu select 'Properties"

* The text size will be reported under the "Size" line item

* Edit to taste for size

Using this simple method I was able to confirm that the posting which prompted Doug to mention excessive kilobytage -

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040112/001181.html

- is, in fact 25 KB as he said.

You can also alter the folder view so file sizes are automatically displayed when viewed via Windows file explorer.

Linux users...

If you're using the Gnome desktop, the GEDIT application is the simplest graphical tool for stripping and manipulating text for posting.

You can copy and paste text from a website (the usual source for posts) into GEDIT easily. The saved file, probably placed by default in your /home/ folder, will reveal its kb count when viewed via GNOME.

Mac OSX (really BSD) users...

You know what to do don't you?

Details aside, the chief thing, for all OSes, is to use a simple text manipulator as an intemediary editor and file size trimming tool before posting.

Anybody who needs tech guidance on this, feel free to mail me offlist.

DRM