[lbo-talk] Tips For Limiting The KB Size Of Your Posts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 17 10:46:20 PST 2004

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>Using this simple method I was able to confirm that
>the posting which prompted Doug to mention excessive
>kilobytage -
>
>http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040112/001181.html
>
>- is, in fact 25 KB as he said.

Eudora gives sizes in inboxes and outboxes. Two things can add invisibly to length: 1) headers, which add about 1k, and 2) HTML coding, which can add 5k or more to a post.

It looks like this new version of mailman can strip HTML code from a text, but I don't know for sure. I'm going to do a test posting to see.

The new version also makes it easier to specify addresses whose postings have to be approved, so the work of the volume police has gotten easier as well.

Doug