[lbo-talk] Free Martha!

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Tue Jan 20 17:41:06 PST 2004

What I understood Doug's friend to be saying was not that Martha was a "feminist icon" but that her way of being obsessed with the home is not a traditionally feminine one, in which the home is Christopher Lasch's "haven in a heartless world" (he was of course borrowing Marx's characterization of religion) - just the opposite. Martha's home is competitive, and it is big business. Nobody's saying that's at all admirable, just that it's not traditionally feminine and it makes people uneasy.

There's a case to made that Martha is sort of a Catherine Beecher/Beverly LaHaye character, one of those women who makes a very impressive career for herself out in the world by encouraging other women to stay home. But her approach to the home seems so cold and businesslike, and so detached from the family, motherhood, marriage or anything else related to traditional values, that I tend to think not.

As for class, Martha is not from the WASP upper crust whose decor she celebrates - and has utterly reinvented - her point is to democratize this aesthetic. She wants everybody's house to look like something in Greenwich. It may not be to your taste -- I myself am too lazy even to aspire to it, it's a lot of work -- but I don't think its intended to be exclusionary.

Liza