[lbo-talk] Imperialism & Exploitation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 21 08:17:38 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] Todd's serious question
>
>Hari Kumar wrote:
>
>>How to operationalise that in the era of globalisation?
>>[Should I say the current era of globalisation - to de-uniquify the
>>current ear?] - Iis a point that I submit, bears a lot of
>>discussion.
>
>Well, yeah. Here's a specific question: Ulhas says India is not
>exploited by imperialism - do you agree?
>
>Doug

>[lbo-talk] Is India Exploited by imperialism?
>
>Hari Kumar wrote:
>
>>Doug: "Well, yeah. Here's a specific question: Ulhas says India is
>>not exploited by imperialism - do you agree?
>>REPLY: In a word "No". (<no wink>). Now Grand Inquisitor - You are
>>the expert economist - tell me what you think is the answer to that
>>question. H
>
>Not inquisitor, but interviewer: I'm asking because I can't really
>make up my mind on this question.
>
>Doug

"Is India exploited by imperialism?" is a question that obscures class relations at the heart of the term exploitation in the Marxist sense. Shouldn't the question be something like, "Are Indian workers and peasants more exploited by capitalists and landlords in India and elsewhere because of imperialism?" or "Does imperialism help capitalists in India and elsewhere extract more surplus value out of Indian workers?" -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>