[lbo-talk] Is India Exploited by imperialism?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:49:09 PST 2004

kjkhoo at SoftHome.net wrote:

> Perhaps you/Hari/any-other-interested-party could let us know what
> would constitute "exploited by imperialism" today? Or even more
> basic, since there are hints here and there that some think that
> aside from the militaristic imperialism really doesn't cut it as a
> concept anymore, what would constitute imperialism today?

I find Ellen Meiksins Wood pretty convincing in her _Empire of Capital_, which she develops through differentiating the different forms imperialism has taken both prior to capitalism and within it.

For one thing, her analysis makes intelligible the support the 'crazies' within the administration have received from 'saner' portions of the u.s. ruling class.

Carrol