[lbo-talk] Georgism on the left

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jan 21 11:09:22 PST 2004

The person who gets nailed is the one who owns the land, not the one who brokers deals in real estate. A heated up real estate market would be great for realtors. I suspect any less impeded market would also be more volatile.

One objection to LVT is the disruption to people who rented on top of land that appreciated in value and made their tenancy unprofitable.

mbs

Why would realtors be in favor of land-value taxation (LVT)? I figure they stand to lose in the long run, bigtime.

> it was very interesting; she suggested bulldozing all of north
philadelphia,
> regardless of residents. i found it difficult to take her very seriously
> after that. she also went to g-town law, which makes me wary of g-town
> lawyers.
>
> but more to the point:
> if cities were to use this tax would it counteract the ten year tax
> abatements that have already been renewed for all downtown hotels? or that

There are much bigger transition problems than that. Biggest political problem is that the value of middle class "homesteads" would go down. A Georgist who writes on sci.econ points out that this isn't really a problem, since overall the government would tax income less (if you make revenue neutral assumptions). But he adds that it might *seem* bad, because the future stream of economic rent coming from land possession is (at least partly) capitalized in the market value of the land, whereas the future stream of income coming from labor isn't.

> the city of philadelphia is presently running the ritz carlton on s. broad
> st.? also: would this affect the current vacancies in hi-rise office
space?
> philadelphia may soon have empty skyscrapers to commiserate with the
> abandoned factories.

Don't know the direct answer. Indirectly (theoretically), Georgist schemes would promote efficiency in the use of land, which might lead to a dampening of boom/bust real estate cycles. But I'm in over my head.