[lbo-talk] Dean's Self-Demolition

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Wed Jan 21 15:14:52 PST 2004

Totally agree with this. This is one of the reasons why Dean's defeat in Iowa was depressing (despite the fact that in policy terms, the Democrats are pretty similar to each other). Also depressing is the new post-Iowa conventional wisdom that grass-roots organization, and a capacity to mobilize and politicize people don't actually matter in an election. You can see why elites would want to punish Dean for doing that, and make clear to others that it doesn't work. I'm also disturbed that the idealism and enthusiasm of the Dean volunteers - again, whatever one thinks of Dean - is consistently viewed by the media as self-indulgent, silly and totally irrelevant to the political process. Whenever they write about a Dean phone bank, it sounds like they're describing the Rainbow Gathering.

Liza