[lbo-talk] Why Saddam's Capture Will Indeed End the Insurgency

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Jan 23 11:05:44 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dwayne Monroe" <idoru345 at yahoo.com>

> If the guerillas are, as the author says, mostly Ba'athists, inspired by
> loyalty to Hussein and party ideology to fight (and, perhaps even
> directly commanded by Hussein till his capture - by the Kurds? the
> Americans? the Klingons?) it would be reasonable to expect their
> movement to collapse with their leader behind bars - or something.

One of the more plausible partial explanations of the scope and potency of the insurgency I've heard is as follows: soon after the US took Baghdad, they laid off pretty much everyone in the "Ba'athist" armed services--instantly creating a large subpopulation of angry young men with guns (and RPGs etc.). Brilliant.

-- Luke