[lbo-talk] Why Saddam's Capture Will Indeed End the Insurgency

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 23 11:28:46 PST 2004

> One of the more plausible partial explanations of the scope and potency of
> the insurgency I've heard is as follows: soon after the US took Baghdad,
> they laid off pretty much everyone in the "Ba'athist" armed
> services--instantly creating a large subpopulation of angry young men with
> guns (and RPGs etc.). Brilliant.
>
> -- Luke

Wasn't it basically a Catch-22 for the invaders? You either leave in place an indigenous army that might start shooting the wrong way when the "no elections for you" cat gets out of the bag, or you unemploy them. It's so depressing to see Bush getting approval for international security. Like Hitler getting high marks for ethnic relations...