[lbo-talk] Re: Undecided Until the Last Minute Re:Dean'sSelf-Demolition

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Fri Jan 23 13:16:29 PST 2004

This "we" vs. "they" is not borne out by observation. Many people you're speaking about as ABBs actually spend much more time on other "movement" work than on the election. Myself included. In fact Nathan Newman, the original proponent of ABB-type-thinking on this listserv, is not, as far as I know, working for any Democratic candidate right now. He spends lots and lots of time as a committed activist working to build a left movement, just like you.

The dichotomy you're drawing - between working to defeat Bush and working to build a movement that demands far more radical change - is ridiculous. Both of those things are immeasurably important, and many activists are recognizing that by doing both. Or, like Nathan, they mostly do one thing and in solidarity, acknowledge the importance of the other. Most of the reasons to choose one form of political engagement over another are temperamental and visceral, and as your posts on this issue demonstrate, difficult to defend logically.

And I have never met any genuine progressives of the ABB variety who don't realize the next DP president is going to be vile. I am sure they plan on protesting him as soon as they recover from the victory party.

Liza