[lbo-talk] Re: Undecided Until the Last MinuteRe:Dean'sSelf-Demolition

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Jan 23 14:26:33 PST 2004

Carroll:

>> Would a Dean or Kerry or Clark administration _withdraw_,
>> unconditionally, from Iraq? There is no middle path between such
>> withdrawal and endless warfare there.
Jon:
> I have a hard time imagining that they would keep slogging on and on,
> given that the Bushies themselves are trying as hard as they can to
get
> out in a face-saving way already.

The Dean campaign lays out their plan for Iraq, as well as their spin on Kerry and Lieberman's at

http://www3.deanforamerica.com/site/DocServer/Policy_-_Foreign_-_Iraq_-_ Reconstruction.pdf?docID=1041

Dr. Dean's proposal? "A democratic transition will take between 18 and 24 months, although troops should expect to be in Iraq for a longer period."

ARGH!

I wonder how many Deanies know this. I'm sure some do, but...*resigned sigh*

>> ...Would a DP administration repeal the Patriot Act? (More
importantly,
>> would it repeal the equally vicious Anti-Terrorism and Effective
Death
>> Penalty Act?)
>
> Hard to say -- most of the candidates seem to be ominously silent on
> this issue so far. The press should leave off their deep
> investigative-journalist digging into the after-effects of the I Have
> Scream speech and Ms. Dr. Dean's new, more wifely look and behavior
and
> start pressing the candidates on this one.

Searching Dean and Kerry's websites with the term "Patriot Act" indicates (to me at least) they want to cut it back, but not repeal it. A minor improvement over Bush the Younger, but I'll take it.

>> And incidentally, if 2005 under Bush _does_ constitute a real crisis
>> -- those best prepared to respond would be those who worked on
>> organizing outside the electoral arena this year. We (the non-ABBs)
>> are, I suspect, the ABBs Plan B. :-) We're also the kernel of Plan B
>> if a DP administration turns out to be as vile as I suspect it will.
>
> Why not assume that ABBs can walk and chew gum at the same time? I.e.,

> try to defeat Shrub this year as well as getting ready to fight back
> against him if he wins? Indeed, that seems like a very reasonable
> course of action.

Sounds good to me--and don't forget, if a Dem wins, hold his feet to the fire. I figure it'll be an easier job than protesting Bush.

Curtiss