[lbo-talk] Re: Undecided Until the Last Minute Re: Dean'sSelf-Demolition

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 24 16:30:21 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> but why not hold their feet to the
> fire? Beginning perhaps with suggesting that they support a
> Canadian-style government health insurance system

Really, Jon. Get some people together and do it. Or do you assume that presidential candidates are going to flock to your doorstep to receive wisdom from your lips? You have no audience but yourself for all this urging until you find a way to get people to read what you write. How are you going to do that? You presume to pass judgment in your great wisdom on 200 years of terrible struggle. So if you know so damn much how to influence the world, why haven't you done it.

When the three or four people who have provided most of the energy for our local group began to run out of energy and time, one of them established the principle that a person should only suggest activities which he/she was prepared to do the work on: recruit the people, plan it, advertise it, etc. I really don't think anyone should issue diagnoses of what is "wrong" with THE LEFT" who isn't prepared to go out there and correct it (by recruiting the people, renting the ad space, etc etc etc. Do It. Don't just bellyache.

Carrol