[lbo-talk] Re: internet "insecurity"

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Jan 26 14:55:28 PST 2004

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 01:18 PM, Curtiss Leung wrote:

> The pathetic
> thing is that it would be relatively simple to add a
> small printer to these systems that would print out a
> paper ballot that the voter would approve and then dump
> into a bin, thus keeping a physical and auditable record.

OTOH, I saw someone pointing out somewhere the other day that if you can jigger the voting software, you can just as easily jigger the software controlling the printing operation so that it prints out a hard copy that *looks* as though the vote the voter cast is the one being recorded, when in fact something completely different goes through the system.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax