[lbo-talk] match game

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 27 07:45:43 PST 2004

Doug:
> http://www.presidentmatch.com/Main.jsp2?cp=main

Interesting but not very accurate. My results were Kucinich (100%), Sharpton (91%), Kerry (90%), Dean (86%), Clark (81%), Edwards (80%) and Lieberman (67%).

However, I would not seriously consider "my" two top matched because there is another factor that these tests did not consider - the perception of electability. I just do not think that "my" two top matches have any chance of being elected, especially in the South.

The US is a "God's country," with a rather high percent of the population with strong ethnocentric, reactionary or fascist dispositions. Any candidate that looks urbane, sophisticated, thoughtful, tolerant, "different" or otherwise not projecting the image of a "tough, red blooded, kick-ass Amerikun" has no chance of being elected.

That means Kucinich and to a large degree Kerry. Sharpton is DOA because of his skin color - I think I will sooner see pigs flying than a black or a female being elected president in this country. I like Kerry's emphasis on urban development - he has the most articulate program in that area of all leading candidates, but I simply think he looks to "un-Amerikun" to have a chance.

Dean, otoh, has a chance if he successfully projects the image of power and control. The "I had a scream" thing might have deterred some pointy-headed liberals, but it projects raw virility and this will likely sail well with the most of the US electorate.

Wojtek