[lbo-talk] Kerry defends himself

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 30 10:10:17 PST 2004

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/7830156.htm

In addition to being criticized by Dean, Kerry was faulted yesterday

by Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie, who said Kerry

was weak on defense policy and outside the American mainstream.

"John Kerry's record of service in our military is honorable,"

Gillespie said at the party's winter meeting in Washington. "But his

long record in the Senate is one of advocating policies that would

weaken our national security."

Campaigning in Columbia before the debate, Kerry brushed off the

criticism.

"It's the greatest form of flattery," he said. "I have voted for the

largest defense budgets in the history of our country."