[lbo-talk] Re: Tuff Lib'rul (progressive taxes)

Michael Catolico mcatolico at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 30 15:16:38 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

>>For one thing, lifting the $87k wage cap on social security tax and
>>treating stock options as taxable wages would go a really long way in
>>"saving" social security.
>>

>I never checked this out myself, but someone (reliable) told me that
>during the initial Congressional debate over SS it was made very
>explicit that the system should be funded by taxes on labor, not
>capital - thus the salary cap and the exemptions of nonwage income.

exercised options received as compensation ARE income not capital. in part, much of the heightened scrutiny of unrecognized corporate expenses post-enron is focused on declaring & valuing these exec perks.

also, whatever the history of the debate in congress on SS, there is no reason not to consider raising the cap from $87. of course the major issue would be how liability would then be adjusted (e.g. "if i pay SS on $1MM per year income shouldn't i be entitled to a larger post-retirement benefit?") thus, this kind of solution would provide a short term push in funding but would likely compound the long term obligation of the fund.

alternatively (and bemusedly), i've often thought of trying to build a grass roots movement for total elimination of income taxes and replacing it with a severe inheritance tax (with no gifting loopholes). basically every estate would be taxed at 99.9999% of assets greater than say $1MM. this would force the proponents of the theory that the US is a meritocracy to put up or shut up - the self-made millionaire would truly enjoy the fruits of his/her labor and the lazy-ass sons/daughters of the leisure class would be forced to scratch for a living like the rest of us. a pure inheritance tax funding system would also have the added "benefit" of quick fixes for deficit situations: whenever the budget became unbalanced the bill gateses and warren buffetts of the world would mysteriously meet a tragic end....

michael catolico