[lbo-talk] HMO profits

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Jan 30 21:37:25 PST 2004

Diane writes:

"American HMOs show record profit of $2.3 billion in first quarter of 2003, up 60 percent from the year before."

Took my 20-year old to the ER right after xmas because (after a bit of drinking) he couldn't stop throwing up. (My mom's brain was flashing: Dehydration! Electrolytes! Kidneys! Liver!...etc.) So, in he went.

Basically, they did a blood test, gave him some compazine, 3 liters of saline, and two Tylenol.

Final bill: 2400.00; The three bags of saline were $1243.00; two aspirin $24.00....and so on. They also sent me a survey to fill out. I wrote back saying that all things being equal, I'd fill out the survey for $500.00. Haven't heard from them again.

%#$*@(!!!

Joanna