[lbo-talk] Musharraf vows harsh punishment for nuke proliferators

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Jan 31 05:21:00 PST 2004

HindustanTimes.com

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Musharraf vows harsh punishment for nuke proliferators

Asian News International Islamabad, January 26

Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf on Monday pledged "harsh" punishment for Pakistani scientists who sold secrets to Iran and other countries. He blamed individual scientists and the world black market for nuclear proliferation.

"We will punish them. And we will be very harsh with them because they are enemies of state and they have done something for personal and financial gain," The Dawn quoted Musharraf as saying in an interview with BBC.

The President rejected reports that have named former military chief General Aslam Beg as approving the transfer of nuclear technology to Iran under the former successive governments of Prime Ministers Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2004.