[lbo-talk] Voters' views: Iraq

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 1 14:02:13 PDT 2004

> I know you're fascinated with, shall we say, the
> "coarser" elements in Anglo-American culture. I
> thought you might like this passage from a recent
> entry in a friend's "blog":
>
> "Holy shit - a whole crowd of drunken, 40 year old,
> tough guy heshers is moving in across the street from
> me. I swear they must be the 2004 domestic violence
> olympic team. The one guy is wearing an unbuttoned
> pastel shirt that probably couldn't contain his
> bulbous beergut anyway. In addition he's sporting some
> flowery jam shorts circa 1981 and a mullet. The driver
> of the truck is a rough looking motherfucker with a
> camo bandanna, no shirt, bargain store shorts and
> Jesus boots. He stepped out of the truck with a beer
> in his hand. I guess no one told him that drinking and
> driving stopped being cool a couple of decades ago.

I think this is just folklore, rather funny and amusing, except the domestic violence aspect of it. What I find far more frightening is white suburban / small town SUV-driving and flag waving fatheads: not necessarily hicks but small business owners, engineers, lawyers, MBAs, veterans or just plain blue collar - who love their country but find it increasingly difficult to pay their bills. These are the foot soldiers of the "Reagan revolution," ardent Bush supporters, and ditto-heads - and if things keep going they way they have been for the past four years - they will be the ones marching in goose step and rounding up or lynching folks like me.

Wojtek