[lbo-talk] "Islamicisation" of the Iraqi insurgency

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 05:31:03 PDT 2004

The below is roughly what happened in Chechnya, BTW. Especially the last sentence.

--- MICHAEL WARE: Absolutely. I've been tracking the insurgency for over a year now. I've been joining their groups, visiting then in their safe houses, their villages, I've been travelling with them, I've seen their weapons caches, I've been trying to keep as close tabs as possible over the last 12 months. I've seen the shift. Men I know, professional military officers from the Republican Guards, the secret police, these men are in the military for a career. They fought for their nation. Two years ago they were out drinking and whoring under the regime, a year ago they're out defending their homes. Now, they're talking about how they want an Islamic state for Iraq. They didn't dream of that six months ago. Sharia law, they want a pan-Islamic Khilafati, they now adhere to the extremist teachings in Saudi Arabia, they didn't care about anything beyond their borders before now.

TONY JONES: What has happened is this change has occurred, particularly in the last six months.

MICHAEL WARE: We used to have a two track war, a terrorist war with terrorists such as Abu Musab al Zarqawi, the suicide bombings, the assassinations the symbolic political strikes, but the daily drip feed of attacks were the guerrillas fighting for Iraq, when Saddam was captured in the time that evolved, the coffers of the Baath started to dry up the squeeze was on. So they turned elsewhere, what did they find? Terrorist money - with that comes ideological baggage, new membership, a change in tactics and ideology.