[lbo-talk] "Islamicisation" of the Iraqi insurgency

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 21:14:55 PDT 2004

Chris said:

The below is roughly what happened in Chechnya....

--- WARE: Men I know, professional military officers from the Republican Guards, the secret police, these men are in the military for a career. They fought for their nation. Two years ago they were out drinking and whoring under the regime, a year ago they're out defending their homes. Now, they're talking about how they want an Islamic state for Iraq. ---

Me: "Drinking and whoring" seem to be quite compatible with ultra-Islamism, if the reports regarding Mohammed Atta and his colleagues are to be believed.

I guess it's part of a typical pattern of authoritarian ideologies: "do as I say, don't do as I do".

Grant.