[lbo-talk] Re: naderphobia (psychopathology of?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 2 06:13:52 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Don't believe every farfetched thing that US leftists who are
>stricken with Naderphobia have to say about Nader. I have heard
>Nader complain of "corporate pornography and violence beamed to
>children at a very impressionable age" (e.g.,
><http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/23/elec04.prez.nader/>), but
>I haven't heard him say anything about preferring domestic porn to
>foreign porn (!), and Christian can't produce any evidence for this
>libel of Nader.

I heard him endorse the restriction of porn imports at the Town Hall debate in Seattle during WTO week. And it weirdly came out of nowhere, in response to a good question by David Aaron, then-Undersec of Commerce - how could a consumer advocate endorse import restrictions, since they'd reduce choice and raise prices? Nader's answer was uncharacteristically rambling, and then out burst the porn remark.

Doug

PS: This "Naderphobia" thing is kind of weird. I'm not afraid of him, or afflicted with a psychopathological hatred; I just want him to stop running for president and do something constructive instead. That's a rational, hateless position.