[lbo-talk] Kerry the pro-war candidate?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Jul 2 07:16:00 PDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 10:14 PM, Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> So you think Kerry is going to "cut and run" from Iraq if he gets
> elected?

You guys are persistently avoiding discussing my main point, which is that Bush, Kerry, Donald Duck, or whoever occupies the Oval Office is going to cut and run because the situation in Iraq is rapidly becoming untenable for the U.S. forces there, just as happened in Vietnam. Discussing what Kerry is saying at this point in the campaign, when everyone knows that campaign speeches seldom have much relationship to what actually happens after the inauguration, while ignoring what is actually happening in Iraq, is not, in my opinion, a very intelligent mode of analysis.

But I'm getting tired of insisting on conducting an argument on a proposition that everyone else is ignoring, because it doesn't suit their polemical purposes. So I'm dropping this argument. We'll just have to let events play themselves out.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)